background

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Rainy Days

This afternoon I got home from meeting and freaked myself out when I looked in the mirror. I immediately dialed the family nurse (thanks rox.... I just want you to feel important :)) Welcome to my life pinkeye! So I've been walking around town with my head down (and not just because it's raining!) Anyways, make hummus! It does wonders for worrywarts like myself, and it's yummy and healthy. Here is a recipe that Julie introduced to me that I absolutely love. So.... make a run to Trader Joe's and get started. Enjoy the rain!

Hummus

Serve this popular Middle Eastern sauce with the traditional pita wedges or as a dip for fresh vegetable crudités.

Ingredients

1/4 cup Italian parsley leaves, washed and dried

2 strips lemon zest, 2 x 1/2 inches, bitter white pith scraped off

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

2 small cloves garlic

1 large can (28 - ounce) chickpeas, drained, rinsed and drained again

3 tablespoons tahini paste

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

5 tablespoons water

1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil


Instructions

  1. Insert the metal blade. Use the pulse to chop the parsley, 10 to 15 times. Remove and reserve.
  2. Chop the lemon zest with the kosher salt using the pulse, 10 times. With the machine running, drop the garlic down the feed tube; process 10 seconds to chop. Add the drained chickpeas, tahini paste, lemon juice, water, and cumin to the work bowl; process 60 seconds to combine. Scrape the work bowl.
  3. With the machine running, add the olive oil in a slow steady stream; process until the hummus is smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add half the chopped parsley; pulse to incorporate, 5 to 10 times.
  4. Allow the hummus to rest for 30 minutes before serving, to allow the flavors to blend.
  5. Serve in a shallow bowl, sprinkled with the remaining chopped parsley. If desired, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.

No comments: