background

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Marathon Training in Progress

"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
-George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

I've lost almost all of my motivation for running long distances. BUT, knowing the kind of person I am, I won't quit till I've crossed the finish line. Today I went to the running store downtown and they did some quick tests on me. I did some exercises stepping on this pad that was hooked up to a machine. I can see where I put most of my pressure when I run, what kind of arch support I need and so on.... Oh, and both of my feet are the exact same size! Apparently, most people's aren't. I also left the store with a bag of new running shoes and synthetic socks. I didn't go generic this time on the shoes, meaning no more Nikes, Adidas, Rebook, etc. I'm looking forward to another long distance run this evening. Looking forward to hitting the pavement and getting out of the stuffy gym.

Weather break please!




3 comments:

Martine Irene said...

Good for you, for sticking with your training when it's not always much fun if it's hot, cold, rainy, snowy, etc. It sure is hard for me to stick with an exercise routine but I'm trying to do better. Good luck with your marathon training progress!!

Nettie said...

I would love to see a picture of your new kicks! Good Luck training...

skhx said...

you will do GREAT, Rachel!!!!! keep on keepin on! when is your race? do you have an "interim" race to keep you motivated? find a 5k or 10k to shoot for... and if you need a long run that day, then run a few miles before, race, then a few miles after = super great way to get a "long" run in that doesn't feel like a slog. even a 1/2 marathon about a month out is a great thing to shoot for to take the drudgery away! you're gonna have a BLAST and ROCK it!